Because the interwebs can't stop a determined writer. Or someone who has a little too much time on her hands.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

third wheel


Can we chat about something friends?

I don't like threesomes.

Incendiary as that statement is; seriously? I hate hanging out in groups of three. It always feel like someone feels they owe me face time, but don't really want to spend it with me. And it always seems that when I hang out in a group of three - there is always someone who is insistent on monopolizing all the time and attention. (usually not me) So it's not really a mutual exchange of time and affection, but really just another audience for them to engage.

Threes are really hard to accommodate; you can't really walk down the sidewalk in a trio, in a car - there's always one person stuck in the back. At a table; crowding three people into a table meant for two is hard - but putting them at a table meant for four leaves a lot of conspicuous space. When you see two men and a woman or two women and a guy - you're always wondering what the couple ratio is and who is the loser. It's easier for two people to walk down the same path and for that third person to find themselves left out.

To put it simply; in a trio - one person always finds themselves holding the short end of the stick.

Two people, by themselves, are naturally compelled (call it forced if you want to) to engage with one another. In a trio, it would be easy to ignore one person or pile the exclusive attention of two people on another. Why am I b*&%hing about this?

I asked Cher, who is not only a sweetiepie of a friend - but also a style maven (seriously, she should be on the Style Network 24-7) to help me pick out outfits for a upcoming headshot photo shoot. She's got a great eye and I love hanging out with her. It's also a good opportunity to pass on her belated birthday gift. And she just asked me if a mutual friend of ours could come along to the style session. The problem? Well, quite honestly, I only wanted to hang out with my friend. That's what it boils down to. Nothing against the mutual friend - but forreals? Just because Mutual knows me too doesn't mean she's automatically invited.

I don't know. Seems so high school - which has been a theme with me lately.

No comments:

Moi aussi!

20 something. Singer/designer/blogger. My last blog is now permanently lost in the ether, but I've been writing online since 1995. And so it begins...

Recent News

HappyMan