Because the interwebs can't stop a determined writer. Or someone who has a little too much time on her hands.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

the finance whisperer.

hola...know I've been away awhile...taken some time off. time really does equal $$ and luxury. i've been trying to plan a vacation with my bestie and haven't been able to - was sort of looking forwards to rainforests and waterfalls.

life has been very doable lately. in that i've established a routine of sorts and i'm more than happy with where i am. doesn't mean that things couldn't be better, but for the most part it's all working copacetically.

have recently been asked to participate in a round of interviews at work. i mean, where i'm doing the interviewing/ie. asking the questions. all i've been asked to do is give my general feeling on the vibes I get from people. it's like i'm the finance whisperer or something. i've met two people so far and what a marked difference between the two.

there's nothing like meeting someone who is quietly confident and sure of themselves. who asks the right questions and answers all of yours directly. the person who follows up and sits in their own self like a cloak. and what a marked difference to meet someone who is constantly trying to out or overthink you.

met our second candidate for an open position today. and it was sort of laughable how much she was trying to impress me. srsly? i just work here. but what was also hilarious was how much her answers fell into the "stereotypical" category. like she almost interviewed herself. she even did the whole, "What ANIMAL in the forest am I." analysis. SHE ACTUALLY BROUGHT THIS UP AND ANSWERED THE QUESTION HERSELF. dude. then she was all blabbity blabbity finance...blabbity blabbity run and manage a team. "i'm really direct and to the point." "i say what's on my mind." etc. she also seemed like a control freak. like the uber perfect child.

the last thing she said that freaked me out?

"Well, I'm the oldest child. (like that would impress me or something, cause I'm the oldest in mine) And so I would look at the other members of my team like a younger sibling. Like I am here to help guide you and tell you stories about the things that I've done that worked for me. I have a ton of experience and would take the role of older sister."

ok...FAIL.

just from experience, it's so hard to work with people who view themselves like this. as gurus instead of teachers. as constant leaders instead of learners. i also do not need to tell anyone how friggin' annoying it is to work with someone who lacks the ability to listen to those around them they view as "less than" or to be with anyone who would ever view anyone as "less than". makes one think how often we walk around thinking that we have to school the people younger than us. unless of an exchange of information, it becomes this dearth of unsolicited advice that leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

so i'm still diggin' candidate one, but we'll see what happens with option numero tres on friday. til then.

No comments:

Moi aussi!

20 something. Singer/designer/blogger. My last blog is now permanently lost in the ether, but I've been writing online since 1995. And so it begins...

Recent News

HappyMan