Sent at 4:36 PM on Monday
tonylee415: btw, i thought about the answer i gave you yesterday
about the song and personality
me: oh?
tonylee415: yeah
me: did you change your mind?
tonylee415: yeah i think i did
me: ok
tonylee415: i think any song has to have some personality
whether or not it's communicated
me: so...maybe I'll just write a blog post later
but I have two versions of Copeland's "Rodeo"
one conducted by Bernstein
and another by Michael Tilson Thomas
and the one by MTT literally...made me want to laugh yesterday
I hope this doesn't sound like I'm on crack
tonylee415: no, i'm following
me: the most marked difference between the two is the MTT one is faster
so you have to sort of make your listening brain/ear keep up with the pace of the music
tonylee415: ok
me: but all the little bits are punctuated in a way that make you think they're saying something
and each bit of the song has a personality
and it makes the song so much more fun
(I can't believe it's the "Beef: it's what's for dinner" song)
but that's what a good conductor does
takes apart and reassembles music so that each bit is infused with the musical capacity and fullness that it has the ability to be
tonylee415: ic
me: and each one will interpret it differently
tonylee415: ok
me: MTT"s version is way "punchier" than Bernsteins
I dunno...so that's what I was thinking
tonylee415: right on
sure i buy that
me: like music...can be this really cool thing where each piece of it can be something else
like someone saying something
tonylee415: i think what i was talking about was more of an existential issue
lol
me: oh I know
tonylee415: sure, why not?
like covers
me: but that's what I was talking about
tonylee415: some ppl stick to the original stuff
some ppl put their own spin on it
me: yes
the Rayees did this remix of a Robyn song
tonylee415: there's that hard rock version of billy jean
like acoustic hardrock
me: oh yeah
the ataris
tonylee415: i think so?
i can't remember
me: I like covers
I like it when someone else reinterprets something I"m already familiar with
Moi aussi!
- Pen
- 20 something. Singer/designer/blogger. My last blog is now permanently lost in the ether, but I've been writing online since 1995. And so it begins...
Recent News
Eats
Thesbians
-
-
Birthday Boy14 years ago
-
NEW WEBSITE AND BLOG14 years ago
-
Memo to the President15 years ago
-
www.MindyLym.com16 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Chix
-
-
-
-
God Land by Lyz Lenz7 years ago
-
-
-
Donkey Rides at a Farm in Málaga, Spain10 years ago
-
TBT: Endless Summer11 years ago
-
Declaration of Independence12 years ago
-
Rose (inner page)13 years ago
-
Vox Box Naturals Review13 years ago
-
No comments:
Post a Comment