Still out and about and recovering from my company's Annual All-Hands Meetings last week. I have to give myself and my peeps for organizing a delicious meal at Foreign Cinema (which is amazing) and getting through the week without killing anyone.
This article today via Already Pretty: Learning How to Believe You Are Worth It.
Too many of us are walking around in our daily lives pretending
and hiding from our inner lights. I'm sure the blogosphere is overrun with the retreads of "Asian culture = humility, modesty and denial of accomplishments" While American culture is rife with self-promotion and bolstering up achievements. Too much self-esteem leads to arrogance and disregard for others, too little leads to a sorry sense of depression. There has to be some sort of medium ground. I believe that all achievements are tempered with gratitude and generosity.Give thankfully.
Receive thankfully.
To me, the best people are not those that step on others, interrupt conversations or disparage the people around them. The people who use their incentives of "getting ahead" to justify the worst human actions. The best people are the ones that ask questions, that are constantly willing to grow, who are gracious and kind and fair to the people around them.
“ Insensitivity makes arrogance ugly; empathy is what makes humility beautiful."
— Renford Reese, Ph.D
One of the best things I've ever told myself was, "You're not crazy." That revelation was the lead up to just one of the reawakenings I've had in my life. I'm sure a ton of kids with Asian parents can relate. That moment when you decided to stop living their insecurities and started to live your own life. When their opinions became "just" their thoughts, and not your doctrine.
The moment when you decided to be different.
Be different today. If not for yourself, then for your children. Or someone who needs you. Or for the inner peace that you'll attain.
Be. Different.
No comments:
Post a Comment