Whenever anyone asks me for one of my favorite memories. I always quote this one.
"In 1999, I traveled to Italy for two months to study Interior Design. It was my first time, officially, completely separated from my family. And it wasn't without its own special brand of difficulty. My ATM card demagnetized itself while traveling and I freaked out. I was certainly quite a bit poorer than my classmates, and was also traveling sans credit card. What I choose to forget about Italy was the heat, the cold and dirty stone floors, and the feeling of being alone among people my own age who I couldn't relate to. And the loss of a friendship. Because the trip taught me that I love to travel alone. That I prefer the peacefulness and grace of studying native people in their native land and not slumming around Europe with rough and rude Americans. (Sorry, y'all, it's true) That amazing food, architecture, art and culture ARE mutually exclusive from your travel companions. That I can be independent and happy.
And that I can be alone. That being alone is preferable to pretending to like to hang out with people you don't like very much. And while I may have lost a friendship that I thought was great; it turned out she wasn't that fantastic of a person - and I gained the friendship of an absolutely fabulous roommate who was smart, funny, lovely and sensible.
But the one night that I remember best. Was being in the darkness in the middle of Piazza San Marco - that historical plaza where ever movie ever made about Venice features prominently. And the small string quartet playing outside of Harry's Bar at midnight. And the stone square and Moorish influenced Ducal Palace to the Campanile (the same one my own college's tower was modeled after) echoing back the traces of this song while the waves of the lagoon slapped against the piers and the gondolas swayed back and forth...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(33)
-
▼
March
(20)
- day 17 - a song that you hear often on the radio
- day 16 - a song that you used to love but now hate
- day 15 - a song that describes you
- day 14 - a song that no one would expect you to love
- day 13 - a song that is a guilty pleasure
- day 12 - a song from a band you hate
- day 11 - a song from your favorite band
- Trolling...
- day 10 - a song that makes you fall asleep
- day 09 - a song that you can dance to
- day 08 - a song that you know all the words to
- day 07 - a song that reminds you of a certain event
- day 06 - a song that reminds you of somewhere
- day 05 - a song that reminds you of someone
- listen up!
- Day 04 - a song that makes you sad
- Day 03 - a song that makes you happy
- Song Day #2 - a Song you Hate
- 01 - Your Favorite Song
- 30 Day Song Challenge
-
▼
March
(20)
Moi aussi!
- Pen
- 20 something. Singer/designer/blogger. My last blog is now permanently lost in the ether, but I've been writing online since 1995. And so it begins...
Recent News
Eats
Thesbians
-
-
Birthday Boy14 years ago
-
NEW WEBSITE AND BLOG14 years ago
-
Memo to the President15 years ago
-
www.MindyLym.com16 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Chix
-
-
-
-
God Land by Lyz Lenz7 years ago
-
-
-
Donkey Rides at a Farm in Málaga, Spain10 years ago
-
TBT: Endless Summer11 years ago
-
Declaration of Independence12 years ago
-
Rose (inner page)13 years ago
-
Vox Box Naturals Review13 years ago
-
No comments:
Post a Comment