The Visible Wardrobe - YES!! (courtesy of Already Pretty)I am a firm believer in the visible wardrobe. (oh how I wish mine looked like that picture...sigh) Unlike the very wealthy or very lucky, I do not have the luxury of a walk in closet. But there is definitely a benefit to keeping everything wearable you own within visual range. Why?
-Even the best of us forgets what we have. So we end up wearing the same things over and over again, week after week. Thus craving variety, we'll go out shopping. Then load up our closets, forget what we own and start on the never ending cycle. Seeing what you own can often inform you as to what you DON'T have. Right now, I don't have a good lightweight jacket that works well in casual situations. I also do not have enough socks, way too many blue shirts and a dearth of blouses and blazers.
-What's easier? Grabbing a sweater or pair of pants hanging on a chair? Or digging through the back of your closet where the pants are tucked into a bin? Yeah...
-Having a visible wardrobe doesn't mean that you put everything out in the open, but by glancing quickly at a drawer or shelf, it helps organize you faster and better and gets you dressed more quickly. Leaving you time to style your hair or get to your party faster.
Think of it as the difference between shopping at Forever 21 and shopping at the Gap. (or Uniqlo) Forever 21 is "forever" (ahah, puntastic) styling mannequins with items that are not immediately around it, forcing the shopper to search high and lo for an item on display. (hoping to entice you to buy more) Forever 21 also crams each of its racks and sections with a myriad of different choices. Disorientating and forcing a curious shopper to regard each one. Nothing is displayed by color or type, but rather as "style" so all of the "party dresses" are in the same area. Casual shirts, work shirts, party shirts, and t-shirts are all displayed by what "genre" of person you are.
At the Gap - all of the t-shirts of the same style are arranged together, color coded by size. It's easy to find a blue, v-neck, tshirt at the Gap. It also goes without saying that someone stepping into the Gap is looking for simple, American casual basics. But shop at Forever 21? You'd better be a slightly schitzophrenic, genre based shopper. Who are you trying to be today? Punk? Grunge? Flower Child? Executive? If you're OCD, you probably need to shop at the Gap. Forever 21 might send you to the Funny Farm. So do you want to spend 3 hours getting ready or just 10 minutes?
-Believe it or not, a well organized shelf can act as a piece of room decor. I love looking over at my shirts and seeing items arranged by color. I also have my necklaces hanging from thumbtacks on a cork board. Guaranteed, these are the necklaces that get the most wear. It makes me really happy and feeling like I'm organized and efficient. On the other end of the spectrum, seeing a messy shelf with shirts spilling out reminds me to stop and take a minute to regroup.
-Visibility doesn't just go for clothes or shoes. I recently rescued a discarded rolly cart with clear plastic drawers with tops that snap closed and filled it with art supplies. Now I can see a lifetime's worth of pastels, watercolors, colored pencils and tools that remind me that an artistic sensibility deserves to be used.
-But Pen, you ask, how do I keep EVERYTHING within visual range? Well, I mean, do it sensibly. I have a dresser, a shelf, a closet and large, clear (important) plastic bins for my skirts, party tops and some scarves. As mentioned before, necklaces are hung out in the open on thumbtacks. Drawers are organized by color, mostly.
I am also a firm believer in a bi-yearly closet purge. I generally try to do it once a quarter. Not only is this good for really discarding items are taking up space, that don't fit you or your lifestyle any longer or could go to a new home; but it's also good for the soul. Admit it, getting rid of things leaves you less tied to the earth, a little freer. A lot of artists prefer to work in huge loft spaces - not because they're trendy (ok, well, they are trendy) but because having a lot of open space gives your creative edge room to grow and stretch. Try clearing your desk or workspace of everything. Put it on the floor or the bed. Then slowly, only start to replace the things that you use. The rest, put away in a box or garbage can until they're needed.
No comments:
Post a Comment