Because the interwebs can't stop a determined writer. Or someone who has a little too much time on her hands.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Pondering Wondercon


Rain shmain; doesn't stop me from going outside.
Let us make one thing perfectly clear; if I ever once try to deny my dork roots, please smack me into oblivion. Thanks! But how is it that I have never been to the mini-mecca of all things geek, WonderCon? When I was 16, I worked in a comic book store for chrissakes. Mostly for the "cool" factor-even when I was a teen I equivocated geek with cool. Ha. (which is why I seriously don't get people doing the whole 'popularity-I'm better than you' game, even when they're 29 or 30-dude, get over it. I actually don't care what kind of car you drive or how many yoga classes you take-I care more about who you are and how you treat others)
Moward and I met up at Yerba Buena Center after a short delay (Muni trains decide to take nap breaks when it rains), in which time I amused myself by looking at books by the St*rbucks. On the way there, I ran into a Boba Fett outside the Mariott, so I was already chalking the day up as a plus.

When we got to Moscone Center, the rain was threatening but not too awful, and here is the fat line for the Iron Man chat as evidence.

Inside, the geekery began, and I got a picture with four Cobra recruits (I also, and thinking back-this was mean-gave the girl Cobra shit for not dressing up as the Baroness. I mean, cause she was pretty hot) There were not as many people walking around in costume as I was hoping for, but plenty of guys (most of whom showered) with utter post-coital bliss painted on their faces. There were also little kids walking around with huge machete esque swords (I mean, basically a plank attached to a handle), provoking my pondering out loud whether or not a bus from the HP had made a special trip. We walked by plenty of booths and my wallet was sorely tempted by Domo shirts, Star Wars lego figures, cuteshitthatlightsup stuff and other retro goods (and unfortunately, not too many books)-but ultimately I decided against it for reasons that I would have been lugging it around the Treasure Hunt.
We also ran into several friends there:
Mo & the Bean


and also War / Cloud & fam - just completely randomly. heh heh.
It was totally fun. Not something I'd want to do for more than two or three hours, but fun! Amusing, light, cool art stuff to look at. It also felt fun to be part of somewhat of an underground collective. It's like being into Rainbow Brite or musical theater, it's not something you announce in public or in front of work collegues, but when you're finally given the chance to submerge yourself completely in your nerd finery? You go hog-wild: because you have found others like yourself. It's like a gay person coming out of the closet.
I feel no need to defend my love of comics. They're art; sometimes stupid, no plot, anatomically impossible, titanium covered art, but a form of expression nonetheless. They allow us to manifest in greater form the facets of human culture that we try to deny. Captain America or Dr. Doom; they are exaggerated caricatures, but they are in all of us. Neil Gaiman is currently a cultural icon and look at artists like Ikegami or Jim Lee, and try to deny the cultural part and parcel they contribute as well as disseminate for their readers. and that's the educational part of this blog, moving on to shallow stuff ...

What I was really struck by, and god may hate me for this, but first of all: the guys there? Total geekery, but not shy. Several of them were wont to look up at me and smile and also make geek talk quite close to my ear. In fact, had I not been in close vicinity to Moward, I probably would have gone home with a number or two. Maybe it's cause I'm the rarity of a GIRL at a COMIC BOOK CONVENTION-where estrogen is ne'er to be found, except clad in spandex. Or that the simple fact that I would show an interest in comics makes me more attractive-I don't know. In contrast, Moward felt uncomfortable about being at a geek fest with an Asian girl-which always makes me laugh, like when I go out with Nim and he wears his 'konichiwa' t-shirt. But he felt, and sort of understandably, like an ass. I guess I should have cursed more or made explicit lesbian jokes or something.
Secondly: this is what I'm totally going to get smote (smited? smoted?) for-the guys were cute. Not all of them, several were poor examples of hygeine and grooming, but many were cute! They may have been wearing a shirt that said, "I am the kwisatz haderach" (I SAW this guy, so did Moward), but they were above board attractive-at least to me. And this may explain my ENTIRE problem. I am attracted to guys who never leave their houses! I am used to this kind of guy; the slightly skinny, uber smart, twinkle in his eye, dorky guy.Which means I should join an MMORPG or something right? Or maybe guys who have unattainable anatomical expectations just float my boat. Whichever.

No comments:

Moi aussi!

20 something. Singer/designer/blogger. My last blog is now permanently lost in the ether, but I've been writing online since 1995. And so it begins...

Recent News

HappyMan