Because the interwebs can't stop a determined writer. Or someone who has a little too much time on her hands.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Spring..again. huzzah!

Welcome back Spring! We missed ya. Oof, I took this on my walk to work the other day and there was a dude playing cello at the fountain and it was so gorgeous and 70s and peaceful and umph...happiness. I did NOT want to go to work on this day. I wanted to sit my ass on the grass and sunbathe and be funemployed - so I pretended for about 15 minutes. But then I remembered...I like shoes.

So much good stuff has been going on! I'm still finding new and inspirational books to read, it's a little sick and I need to stop cause my brain is going to essplode. By the way, today's Wayne Dyer is AWESOME.

Surround Yourself with High-Energy People

Choose to be in close proximity to people who are empowering, who appeal to your sense of connection to intention, who see the greatness in you, who feel connected to God, and who live a life that gives evidence that Spirit has found celebration through them.

So I'm still reading the Twyla Tharp book and in chunks when I can really take the time to absorb all the fantastic bits. I really feel like it's NOT pleasure reading. It's almost like reading something for class, and every word that she writes is so amazing that I need to literally set aside time to read it. I tried reading it in a little gap before work one day and ended up being pissed at myself that I had to stop because I was getting so into it. So I'm only about 1/3 of the way through. What's still so interesting to me about what I consider "New York" artists is the sense of restraint and restriction that I feel so many of them still live their lives by. It's as if one of the requirements to be a real artist is to eat/sleep and socialize very little. I understand dedication, but eschewing lunch? That's a little wickety whack to me.
I also started reading Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott after finding it in my parent's library. I went through the first 65 pages last night and had to stop in order to write a lunch room entry. It's ridiculously good. Bird by Bird is a writer's musing on the art of writing, and you will get absolutely absorbed into the stories. One part manual, one part autobiography and one part inspirational tome, Bird by Bird makes me want to be a writer, which is crazy cause girl-don't-need-to-do-more-than-she-doin'-right-now, but hey, here's to dreaming. This poem just hits all the right spots for me:

Sometimes hidden from me
in daily custom and in trust,

so that I live by you unaware

as by the beating of my heart,


Suddenly you flare in my sight,
a wild rose blooming at the edge
of thicket, grace and light

where yesterday was only shade,

and once again I am blessed, choosing
again what I chose before.
-Wendell Barry, "The Wild Rose"

And then there's THIS book. I was looking in the quasi-career section today because I left about an hour early for class and I was thinking of writing a book like this (yes, please ignore all the 180s I've done during this one blog post alone) and picked it up. I'm glad that someone FINALLY wrote about the reality of relationships - that there are sinks of dirty dishes and times when you want to throttle your partner to death and it's OK. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't and the REALITY of realtionships doesn't mean that right after you get married you walk into happy fairy fluffy cotton candy magic sprinkles land. I've been in horrid relationships and I've been completely content and satisfied single, it's just about perspective, I suppose. I think one of the most single important lessons that I've learned about love is, no matter how short or long, it's always worth it. So don't ever turn it away just because it'll end. Everything ends, it just matters what you make of it while it's there. You are here to love, so LOVE.

No comments:

Moi aussi!

20 something. Singer/designer/blogger. My last blog is now permanently lost in the ether, but I've been writing online since 1995. And so it begins...

Recent News

HappyMan