Because the interwebs can't stop a determined writer. Or someone who has a little too much time on her hands.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

And if I'm flying solo, at least I'm flying free.

Ok...I totally clicked on Blogger's Blogs of Notes for today and found this amazing site:

The One Minute Writer

The premise is simple, the author gives you a prompt and a 60 second YouTube countdown clock to write whatever you feel on the topic. You can post it in the comments section or keep it for personal reflection. Today's prompt:

What would you tell an 18-year-old American to encourage them to vote today?

It's your godforsaken right. It's your chance to finally do something that screams, "adulthood". There are people in this country who were persecuted that don't have the right to vote anymore. Like Wen Ho Lee. And I'm sure he's pissed. Just go out and exercise your own mind man. I know it's hard. but do it. whew.

I guess I could have been more eloquent, but whatever, it's 60 seconds. I also found a great quote, "The world is run by the people who show up." Just by being there, you have a %100 greater chance of making a difference than the people who didn't. Here are some other thoughts.

SanyuSays said... If you do not exercise your rights, what is to keep them from being taken away? If you wont even represent yourself, why would anybody else have the desire to?

zeke said... Voting is the most sacred duty that we have as Americans. It is our moment as individuals to directly affect the destiny of the entire country. To relinquish that power is to make the statement that you do not matter, that your voice should be silent.

Lady with a View said... It is your responsiblity to be informed and to vote - it isn't just your right. You owe it to the people who died for your right to live here - to be free - to worship (or not worship) as you desire. It is your legacy - what will define how future generations see this generation...and yes...you are apart of this generation.

VDL said... I would tell them that this is a time of change that very clearly defines what will happen in our Nation and the rest of the world. Their vote gives them an opportunity to have an identity, be heard and to be a part of history. I would also help them understand history and link it to thei daily experience. That would certainly get them out to vote.

Cyndi Mulligan said... “Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." ~John Adams
Overwhelmingly, the admonition here is to take up your privilege and vote responsibly. Take it for granted by ignoring it, and you may lose this precious right.

No comments:

Moi aussi!

20 something. Singer/designer/blogger. My last blog is now permanently lost in the ether, but I've been writing online since 1995. And so it begins...

Recent News

HappyMan