Because the interwebs can't stop a determined writer. Or someone who has a little too much time on her hands.

Friday, April 24, 2009

on an up note.

On an up note:

First: Go visit Neil's blog (and vote for him in the Webby Awards!)
1000 Awesome Things.
In a world that sometimes seems determined to get you down (the boy doesn't call, they don't have bagel bites at Noah's despite their over-abundant advertising, you don't get your paycheck on time), there's nothing like reading about stuff that makes life AMAZING to get you to chuckle and feel better. And the descriptions are like reading your own version of Mystery Science Theater with your closest wittiest friends. Today alone on the main page are: putting potato chips on your sandwich (EPIC WIN), Squeezing through a door as it’s shutting without touching it, and a photo of Indiana Jones (drool) I think this website might just be a pretty secure antidote for mental depression.

Yes, suddenly you morph from Guy Walking To The Subway After Work into Indiana Jones In That Scene Where He Slides Under The Wall At The Last Second. Your hands stay clean, your strut stays mean, and you zip through that closing door and don’t look back, hoping it doesn’t nail an old lady in the face behind you.

AWESOME!

Second: this book that I just got at the bookstore
Twyla Tharp - The Creative Habit

There are so many creative "types" out there, but the best way to become successful in the community is not being a "starving artist" or a bohemian type, but just the gumption and will to be doing art on a consistent basis. Whether it be taking part in a class or show or just doing your own work, making art an everyday practice is more important than talent or producing 'significant' work. EVER.

Studies have shown that the best musicians in the world aren't the ones who are necessarily born with the most talent, but the ones who utilize their talents and practice every day. The equivalent of a full time job.

Third: Dinner @ Farallon for the Krantz tomorrow and dim sum @ Ton Kiang with Min tomorrow morning (please do not stalk me, yo). Looking forward to such good eats. Can I possibly pair it with performing or watching some live show?

Fourth: Doing voiceover work and getting paid for it. W00t! This might make the 4th time I have been paid via work related to Danno. I could do this people. I really could.

Fifth: Kicking ass on my grant writing. Warrenting a phone call from Mayabird telling me that it's good. Maybe I'm not as crazy about this career change idea as I thought. Now to get to building a budget.

Sixth: Having days off on blazing hot afternoons to spend it kicking back on the beach with your best friend. The sunset was INCREDIBLE. I had two clients cancel on Tuesday, so with record temperature highs, and the fortuitous phone call from my bestie - we took the entire afternoon to just chill on the hot sands, watch cute shirtless boys wakeboard, eat burgers and fries...some things just don't change, whether you're 3, 13 or 30. (which I am in a week...shit)

Seventh: my secret obsession with VH1's "Tough Love" - are you guys watching this at all? The greatest thing is that it's not a competition, none of the girls get voted off. This means they get to all be really supportive and loving of their crazy selves. But the blog is hi-larious. They just used a Pee-Wee Herman reference to talk about one of the contestants.

Just make sure your wish is European enough to suit her. You don’t want her to mekka-lekka hi mekka slap a ho.

ahahah. THAT is pure comedy people! I'm totally rooting for Natasha and esp. Jaclyn.

Ok, so this is the happy entry!

No comments:

Moi aussi!

20 something. Singer/designer/blogger. My last blog is now permanently lost in the ether, but I've been writing online since 1995. And so it begins...

Recent News

HappyMan