Because the interwebs can't stop a determined writer. Or someone who has a little too much time on her hands.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The thoughtful entry is in the middle.

Um, yeah...so I sort of love this list (via Gala Darling) today
The Different Kinds of People That There Are
- a complete list
from the Stranger.com

Because it includes entries like this:

Old People Who Think Pigeons Are Their Best Friends

Listen, old people. Pigeons do not love you. Much like robots and the British, pigeons do not have the capacity to feel love. They only have the capacity to desire croutons. And when you spread infinity croutons across the grass outside MY house, for the purpose of making pigeons love you (WHICH WILL NEVER HAPPEN), the only result is infinite feces. I now have to walk upon feces-encrusted streets through a feces-encrusted world. Because of you and your delusions of pigeon love. Stop it.

It's sort of a million ways of awesome.
****************************************************
Have you ever sat down and realized how much that we as a culture are really REALLY into self-analysis? Constantly punching numbers, answering surveys, going to see therapists - all in the faint hope of finding out just one more modicum of information that we had previously failed to glean? We read self-help books in our quest to become better people...or maybe just different people. What makes us all think that there's something wrong with the way we are?

Or is it all just about finding out that we were totally fine in the first place.

In which case, what becomes our life purpose then? It's the rare human being that doesn't come to the conclusion that their work (or whatever they spend the majority of their life doing) becomes who they are and a reflection of spirit, but that doesn't also take the time out to go back and look at who they wanted to be and if that work is who they want to be. I think that's why, sometimes, we need to fail. We need to face hardship and obstacles, because they make us step back from routine. They are the little blips that we need to take care, but they can also give us pause for reflection. If we are NOT happy with what we're doing, sometimes all it takes is talking it out to make those things - our own ability to speak and to put our thoughts into words, while to some often seem limiting, are necessary acts to help our brains and psyches concretize our own ideas.

From Owen Kelly.net - the three reasons to keep a diary:
keeping a personal diary is a useful exercise, for several reasons:
it encourages self-observation;
it provides a challenge;
it helps us to better digest the experiencing of our lives.


By writing down our thoughts, we ask so much of ourselves. Not only to be able to put our thoughts onto paper in a tangible form, but also asking kindness of ourselves later when reviewing. Lately, I've found myself participating in the facebook wide phenomenon of writing, answering and posting survey notes. The questions range from everything from 'What is your favorite pizza topping?' to 'What would you like to do with your life in 20 years?' While I know these questions are awfully personal, at the same time, even though there is nothing that compels me to answer them but my own ego, I answer most of them candidly and mostly make them private.

And I guess, I wonder if I need to stop. Is that much self-analysis really worth it? Or necessary? I mean, I even know my Enneagram number (in fact I discussed it with a client the other day) and I used to know my Myer-Briggs thingey, but I need to retake the test. I check my horoscope and know my rising sign and moon signs. I CARE when Mercury is in retrograde. I know my Chinese and I used to know my Vedic signs. Is all of this too California woo-woo for y'all? I'm not crazy, at least I don't think, but I wonder why knowing all of this stuff about myself makes me feel...significant.
*************************************

New White House Pup! (of course he's black, didn't no one tell you?) Bo-bama? Bo Obama? Boob-ama? Didn't anyone tell Michelle and Barack you cannot name your children or pets or any other animate or inanimate object you are planning on owning with a name that ends in the same letter as the first letter of your last name? Where's that damn etiquette social secretary lady when you need her?!? It's a very cute puppy though. Portugese water puppy!

oh also? the Wu-Tang clan has started a new online chess and urban social network. It's called wuchess.com. I just like to keep you all informed.

No comments:

Moi aussi!

20 something. Singer/designer/blogger. My last blog is now permanently lost in the ether, but I've been writing online since 1995. And so it begins...

Recent News

HappyMan