"There is a special place in hell for women who don’t help other women."
-Madeline AlbrightSo I just commented on theCh!cktionary aka Lena's post for today, and I'm just frustrated. Frustrated that public sexual harassment still occurs and worse, that another person could validate this injustice with an assumption about Ch!ck's appearance. Frustrated that people do not see their position in this world is to elevate, help and respect others. Frustrated that women are forced to walk this forced line between sexual liberation, dignity and personal safety. And that men are allowed to be sexual and still completely respected and revered for it. (see: Pierce Brosnan, Colin Farrell, Tony Leung, Jimmy Smits, Taye Diggs) While women who are sexual yet smart are crucified for it. (See: Angelina Jolie, Halle Berry, Carla Bruni, Catherine deMedici) The eternal conflict between the virgin and the whore. What happened to the deeply sensual yet intensely intelligent and passionately ambitious woman? Why doesn't she exist?
Probably because at every turn she is demonized and trashed for her choices while the pious and meek are revered. Powerful women are often questioned at every turn; as if they lack the clout to uphold such responsibility. Yet, men sometimes act as given this authority, their god-given right. And I am doubly frustrated that often times, the first people to criticize and judge a sexually liberated woman, is often ANOTHER WOMAN.
Is wearing a skirt for comfort or ease of gait or, yes, because my legs look DAMN fine in one, such a horrible thing?
I ask you, who are you to judge and who are you to lay claim to that right? Because you also have a vagina? Would you want someone to judge you in that manner? I thought not.
No comments:
Post a Comment