Because the interwebs can't stop a determined writer. Or someone who has a little too much time on her hands.

Friday, May 16, 2008

Mother's Day Pt II:

The affects of the prosecco/limoncello death bomb worn off, my parents and I strolled back to car-but not before stopping briefly at the feed/mercantile store and the yarn shop, Fengari...well, if you can call 30 minutes brief. It's easy to get "tangled" up in the lush, colorful array of yarns that are on display here. Hand dyed merinos, silks, chenille and specialty yarns and threads-all incredibly soft to the touch and exciting to the eye. I kept grabbing skeins of yarn just to feel the plush softness-ultimately I did end up with two yarns-a chunky, uneven yarn in a shade of blue/purple perfect for a hat or cowl and another hand dyed shade that was just too gorgeous to pass up.

Fengari
415 Main Street
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
(650) 726-2550 phone
(650) 726-9207 fax

Luckily, I did not have to drive home-cause the second we opened up the garage door, I went upstairs and got to work on my donation to Mother's Day-cooking dinner. The menu was:
-Duck liver mousse w/ port wine gelee on cranberry walnut crostini with field green salad, champagne vinagrette
-Yukon gold, fennel, artichoke heart gratin w/ gruyere and asiago
-Asparagus
-Rack of lamb crusted with shallot, redwine, balsamic, garlic, butter & breadcrumbs
-Fruit cheesecake

It all turned out pretty well-the mousse was from Mollie Stone's and went perfectly with the slightly sweet/sour/nutty crostini (Acme loaf). I loved the rack of lamb, it wasn't gamey at all and cooked up in no time-in fact the only mishap was the gratin. Because
-I sliced my thumb open using the mandolin to cut potatoes. More of a nusiance than anything.
-Wrong ratio of cream to chicken stock, dish came out oily.
-But I highly recommend the combo of potato and fennel, so delish.


More 1/2 eaten food photos for mmmK!
Photo on (r) is lamb spread w/ honey dijon about to get its breadcrumb crust. Good stuff!

1 comment:

KirkK said...

Mmmmm, thanks for the vicarious eating!

Moi aussi!

20 something. Singer/designer/blogger. My last blog is now permanently lost in the ether, but I've been writing online since 1995. And so it begins...

Recent News

HappyMan