Because the interwebs can't stop a determined writer. Or someone who has a little too much time on her hands.

Friday, October 24, 2008

Hurdling towards fate.

Welcome to the 200th post of Pentemporary!

Milestones can be like hurdles, things that you have to leap over with a huge amount of momentum...as you're sailing over, the sheer extents of your body as it defies gravitational force can be a thing of delight. But what happens if; you're running on quicksand or you trip on your shoelace or the wind factor slows you down or something gets in your contact or you just lose focus? Then the hurdle can hinder, nay stop your acceleration altogether.

But it's all in how you see it right?

This economic climate has not been good for anyone. The stock market indexes look more like a game of Pong (or me drafting after a cup of espresso) than a plumb line. People everywhere are getting desperate. Cars are getting stolen or broken into, 401(k)s have dwindled to mere shadows of their former selves and businesses are closing or losing a significant amount of cash.

My recent milestone? Getting cut to three days a week at my office from full time.
yee-ouch.

And yet, still there are people getting married. Getting pregnant and having children, delighting in theater and having fun in spite of it all.

So there were cuts to be made. Granted, I was one of the least at risk people, and I've been told that it's only temporary til the beginning of next year. I won't lose my healthcare or retirement (or what's left of it) But like this blog, temporary can often mean transitionally what will end up being. Personally, I'll be doing alright and looking for part time work from now on. And, inspired by Jerrsika and our friend Curlie - will be looking at the extra time off as an advantage and opportunity. Maybe I'll have more time to act or sing or hang out with J. Maybe I'll find another high paying job. Maybe I'll just clean the house more often. Who knows.

Come on hurdle. I've got mud in my eye, haven't shaved in a week and I'm wearing flip flops. But I'll take you on, it's all that I've got so I'm not going to sit on the track and cry. I'm gonna race you and try.

ps. another fall out of my car being stolen last week? They have purloined my favorite striped, fingerless Marc Jacob's gloves that were in the bag. Assholes.

No comments:

Moi aussi!

20 something. Singer/designer/blogger. My last blog is now permanently lost in the ether, but I've been writing online since 1995. And so it begins...

Recent News

HappyMan