So other than the Folsom Street Fair, which I did not attend, the other part of my big gay weekend consisted of my very first Grooms Commitment Ceremony. Schwarzer and RunningMan decided last year, appropriately on their Birthday Taint, to take the plunge. Over a bevy of gay men and cupcakes from Citizen Cake. But the engagement was announced so long ago, that all of a sudden, when it snuck up on me as Wedding #3 for this year(!), that I was surprised, yet estatic to be asked to fill a somewhat significant role.
Cultural attache.See RunningMan is originally from Hong Kong via Hawaii and so as a nod to his, lovely mother and ancestral piety, wanted to perform a traditional tea ceremony. And I as the, 'non-drinking actor' got the honor of presenting and explaining the whole shebang to a room full of 60 strangers. No problem....
Except for the event manager at Foreign Cinema. About three days before the event, I got a call from Shwarzer telling me that the planner had expressed concern about breaking up the courses (because she didn't want to mess up the server pattern) and also about Shwarzer and RunningMan switching tables between courses. She also wasn't a fan of the tea ceremony - more in placement than in theory. But her constant lamentations led RMan to get rather - feisty and he bit back. In the end, the boys did pretty much everything we had planned upon.

The space was gorgeous; it's always hilarious to me to have such a refined and arty space in the middle of the working class and seedier part of the Mission and the food - delicious. I ran out of battery initially, so I only got the amuse bouche. Bacon wrapped fig on marscapone + Prosciutto wrapped cherry tomato on boursin.
Also, loved the table arrangements and rubber ducky theme running throughout. And the two gents in Emporio Armani suits with their moms in matching soft cream beige outfits.
AS + HC (andhow!) September 28, 2008



No comments:
Post a Comment