Because the interwebs can't stop a determined writer. Or someone who has a little too much time on her hands.

Friday, March 28, 2008

From hippie to hipster....another 60s icon goes commercial

Cal Style? Contradiction in terms? Apparently my alma mater alumni try to prove 'em wrong. They've created a mag called, "Bare" (cute pun, our mascot is the bear) to highlight Sproul Stylistas. And the requisite blog to go with it. Bare Daily

My college fashion highlights:
  • -Wearing pjs to my Italian final because I woke up 20 minutes late.
  • -White Chuck Taylors with old navy shirt dress
  • -Adidas soccer sandles, EVERYWHERE.
  • -A Gap denim skort...yeah, I said it.
  • -old navy hippie paisley skirt, 60s platform shoes

Cal (UC Berkeley) is like the anti-fashion school of hippie couture. Unshaven, dreadlocked, tie-dyed anti-fashion. What happened? I used to wear whatever I pulled first out of my cabinet. Ripped and painted jeans weren't stigmas, they were signs of hard, artistic work. We used to make fun of people who spent all day dressing up. There used to be the sweetest girl, who was always on a ton of committees and organizational boards living in my dorm. But she TOTALLY wore a hair piece/fall, skirts or dresses and 3 tons of makeup-every day. I knew her roomate who told me that this girl woke up at 5am every morning to curl her HAIRPIECE. And we made fun of her all the time because she was so "L.A.". These days, I shrug and say, "to each her own." These days I can barely wake up early enough to put clothes on for work. This chick is probably blown up, done up and saving the world before breakfast.

The new publication's glossy pages and high production values are a far cry
from an ink-on-your-fingers newsprint rag that might cry out "Berzerkeley."
Nevertheless, there's something quintessentially Berkeley about this new
addition to the student publishing scene. Its first edition spoofs stereotypes
of the People's Republic of Berkeley (and conventions of fashion photography).
Student models from diverse backgrounds strut their threads in People's Park and
picturesque corners of Hearst Gym; an undergrad in Mama Cass-inspired hippie
gown poses barefoot in a tree — alongside snappy commentary on the legacy of the '60s ("Jefferson and Lennon asked for an upheaval and Berkeley
delivered…").

http://baremagazine.org/daily/

No comments:

Moi aussi!

20 something. Singer/designer/blogger. My last blog is now permanently lost in the ether, but I've been writing online since 1995. And so it begins...

Recent News

HappyMan