Because the interwebs can't stop a determined writer. Or someone who has a little too much time on her hands.

Monday, March 10, 2008

Least intellectual is my category


Laziness has been ruling me lately. (and some out you out there, I can hear going, "lately?" SHUDDAP) From turning down dinner invitations to ignoring phone calls to wearing my hooded sweatshirt and workout pants all weekend, it is REALLY nice to be a slacker/slob. I have subjected myself to multiple watchings of HP5, sleeping in, staring at the tv-in fact, the most strenuous thing I've done recently was create 3 posts in one day on Polyvore.


Thank goodness for recommendations.


Yesterday, after brunch with Bunnyrillo - I got my butt around to answering a call from Dario, who told me that his friend was looking for actors to fill in for a reading of 'the Diviners'-a Depression Era play about a young boy and an out of work preacher who comes to town and changes lives ala 'Of Mice and Men'. This friend? Happens to be directing the A.C.T. MFA first year class. Oh yeah, and also directed Mr/Ms Bird last year in the show that I couldn't stop talking about.

What am I, retarded? Of course I went.

Not without fear or trepidation of course. Or personal expectations. Or total numbing shock that when we started, everyone was reading with backwoods, 'country' (Indiana) accents. And the people in the room? Read like a who's who of Bay Area Theater. I felt so fucked (like in a Bridget Jones'-"not up to competition standard" way). I got cast as the Bible-thumpin', save-these-sinners, maiden aunt. (that's pretty good actually, it's a friggin' awesome role-but hello Asian?) Two unlucky actresses were late and got cast in male roles. See, the thing about casual readings like this are, you're not just reading just to hang out and have fun. Even though, that's what you're supposedly going for. You're ALSO reading as an improptu extended audition for the director. And I've had a lot of respect for this particular director after watching FPS last year.

Thank god for babies, who are the ultimate ice-breakers.

Whew. In the end, I'm pretty sure I got out of it ok. I showed up on time, hit all the marks and jokes, didn't schmact or kiss ass too much. (at least I think) didn't overstay my welcome.
So here's my question to all you people out there; even though I believe I had the least amount of lines-the character had one of the strongest, most impactful roles in the play. So are you happier being someone who does little but makes a huge impact or does a lot and makes the same impression?
huh? huh?

No comments:

Moi aussi!

20 something. Singer/designer/blogger. My last blog is now permanently lost in the ether, but I've been writing online since 1995. And so it begins...

Recent News

HappyMan