Because the interwebs can't stop a determined writer. Or someone who has a little too much time on her hands.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ticking...my clock is blocking.


Some very cool updates for today:

Shareen Downtown is the blog of the fabulous Shareen Vintage in Venice Beach and Downtown LA, CA. I went there today expecting the normal fashion store owner's blog. What trends are hot in the industry, what items are new in the store, ways to wear things you already own et al, but instead was rewarded with a wonderful treat. Shareen writes incredible, outstanding, spiritual prose/poetry. Here posts inspiring and lovely. Just what I want to hear...what I need to hear

"Tonight, having listened to beautiful music I am moved to say, I love everyone that has ever tried to love and who even now is questioning the value and the way. Nothing is harder, than love and to have a great relationship with anyone is just the most amazing thing ever in the world. If you have one celebrate it daily and work hard to preserve it. If you don’t fight hard to learn how to give and receive- fight hard. It is why you are here."
Shareen Downtown

and secondly, I know I keep waxing poetic about Richie Nakano's (of NOPA) blog linecook, but it's seriously one of the best friggin' chef blogs out there. It's funny, engaging and still manages to be thoughtful. He's generous and at the same time grateful for everything that he has. He loves his life and it shows - I mean, he's inspirational. A true craftsman of the industry. When I look at and talk to working actors, this is the type of person that I see. Someone who is top notch at what they do but always has their head looking towards what they can do next; how they can improve. Not someone who grandstands or rests on their laurels. And above all, a working artist. Well, to top it all off, Nakano's started a podcast with his sous chef/line chef Corey and patisserie chef Amy - and not only do they make it as high-larious, irreverent and fun as Kevin Smith's Smodcast (they talk about hating Family Circus!), they throw in great foodie tips (take your organic produce to the self checkout line, figure out how to make the computer only charge you for the regular stuff) to the silliness of the "organic" revolution. And they're long shoot-the-shit sessions too. Like 80 minutes!

linecook

One of my favorite posts so far: on FOMO (Fear of Missing Out - what every artist has to battle when they're immersed in what they do)

"So the next time you get FOMO, ask yourself what it is that you're really missing. Juxtapose this against the importance of immersing yourself in the kitchen and what paying your dues will end up getting you, and ask yourself if its worth it. Everyone needs me time--but no one ever got 4 stars by letting themselves have it."
Man, I have GOT to get to Nopa. Or Nopalito at least. BTW: Nakano and his team (Corey and Amy) are doing Mission Street Food on April 4th. Amy promises sno-cones. In other news MSF was just on NPR's Food Podcast - yet another San Francisco First, bitches.

No comments:

Moi aussi!

20 something. Singer/designer/blogger. My last blog is now permanently lost in the ether, but I've been writing online since 1995. And so it begins...

Recent News

HappyMan