Because the interwebs can't stop a determined writer. Or someone who has a little too much time on her hands.

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Be and just breathe.

via Gala Darling, Nubby Twiglet’s post on
It’s Not About Them, It’s About You: How To Keep A Positive Perspective in Your Life

Amazing really. Sometimes all it takes is one person to tell you that everything you’re doing in life is OK. That for one moment; the only person you ever have to listen to is yourself.

Tying that into what I’m listening to right now. The best new musical Tony winner, ‘In the Heights’.

Now, my knowledge of Spanish is elementary at best, but I don’t need any of that to understand that Lin-Manuel Miranda’s musical has a new form and function for the Broadway musical and best of all-heart. So many of the new musicals coming out are snarky and ironic at best. They take an already existing art form and either mock it or try to write a loosely contrived script around the songs of one particular artist. (‘Jersey Boys’ is probably a rare exception, but only because the story doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with the songs, so the songs become a background soundtrack)
When it started, ‘In the Heights’ was seen as too hip-hop, too ethnically and location specific, but the critics forgot one thing. Stories about people are universal. Whether you’re from Sarajevo or Maui or Pakistan, you can relate to people trying to live poor and having dreams bigger than they think they’re entitled to.
This is one of those amazing shows and dreams come true that shows that being yourself is practically perfect…in every way.

Oh and by the way? The music rocks.

“They are all counting on me to succeed
I am the one who made it out
The one who always made the grade
But maybe I should've just stayed home...
When I was a child I stayed wide awake, climbed to the highest place,
on every fire escape, restless to climb” - Breathe

Where is my child? The one who yearned for adventure; who cared less if people followed her than if she was free. Who climbed to the top of the rocks-more interested in the climb than the view from the top. The woman I was just a scant two months ago. Who went to bed easy-not restless and scared. Who delighted in freedom. Who didn’t care.

Am I being what I’m not,
So hell bent on being what she’s not?
Are we aren’t
To be who we wish we could be?
Holding back,
To hold onto what we see
As an answer
To our loneliness

Everytime I don’t pick up my phone
When I want to hear your voice
It’s cause I want you in the end.
But if the only person in the end
Is who I am
Who am I to deny what and who is?

Borrowing a friend
Who should be a lover
Is hard to do
When there’s understanding in the way.
I’m falling fast and wondering if I should.

No comments:

Moi aussi!

20 something. Singer/designer/blogger. My last blog is now permanently lost in the ether, but I've been writing online since 1995. And so it begins...

Recent News

HappyMan