Because the interwebs can't stop a determined writer. Or someone who has a little too much time on her hands.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pink bakery bag battle axes!


Jeezus. This article on SFist made me laugh then cringe.
As a firm advocate of the aisle seat, there are several reasons I prefer sitting on the aisle that have nothing to do with my ethnic
background - which doesn't mean that I don't often take the window seat, but quite honestly...
a) Men who take the empty aisle seat have a tendency to sit with their legs WIDE open. Taking up way more than their alotted space bubble and often nudging over to the inside seat. I know it must be hard to sit with balls, but some decorum, please! Respect the space of others and stop being such selfish asses.
b) As a young, petite, solemn looking female - I have been accosted by people sitting on the aisle seat trying to take advantage of my perceived naivete- mostly on BART which I find weird, since I consider it a safer mode of transportation than MUNI. Waking up to find some else's hand on your ass is enough of a disturbing situation to make me not want to be trapped by the jerk sitting on the aisle seat. At least if I'm on the aisle, I can move sooner than later.
c) If I am getting off the bus/train soon, doesn't it make more sense than for me to sit on the aisle than to have to inconvenience the person sitting next to me? The other day, I had to literally wake someone up. And NO, I do not just brush my legs past theirs, I actually make them twist and put their seat out in the aisle. I'm sorry, that's just good manners.
d) if the train is empty, why the fuck do you need to be sitting next to me? If the train starts to get crowded, I will strategically move to the interior seat, usually when a female or obviously gay man is walking by. I don't need to move over for people who are going to be in the a or b categories above
e) People in SF often don't bathe or overcompensate for BO wearing too much cologne. 'Nuff said.
f) Yeah, sometimes I do want to put my bag/purse on the seat next to me. You can ALWAYS ask me to sit there. I will move my shit for you. So ask already!

What I learned from the article and adjoining comments? San Franciscans are racists. I've seen plenty of other people than Asians taking the aisle seat and looking like assholes about it. From the photo, I'll bet the woman has been taken advantage of more than once and is just on the defensive about it. Pink bakery bag battle axes! ATTACK!

No comments:

Moi aussi!

20 something. Singer/designer/blogger. My last blog is now permanently lost in the ether, but I've been writing online since 1995. And so it begins...

Recent News

HappyMan