Because the interwebs can't stop a determined writer. Or someone who has a little too much time on her hands.

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Take a chance on me...


"Hey, I put some new shoes on
And suddenly everything is right

I said, hey, I put some new shoes on

And everybody's smiling, it's so inviting"

-New Shoes by Paolo Nutini



Rarely do I post my shopping images. Partially because I'm quite anxious and paranoid about revealing my purchasing habits, but also because I don't often think they're that spectacular. But today, today was different. Look at these beauties!

I am totally enamored of my new heels.

Ok, yes, they are lace up, knee-high, patent leather, platform boots. The kind that are usually associated with slightly seedier professions. But, as LilMermaid said, every girl wants an excuse to buy these kinds of shoes. And why not?! They're hot. I truly adore them. And look how normal they seem under pants! The platform is pretty extreme, but under a long pair of pants. They just seem like-you know-normal boots.


And if you must know, they were purchased for an upcoming callback for the Rocky Horror Picture Show. LilMermaid found them as we were shopping around Berkeley today-she grabbed them up and promptly ushered me to the dressing room to try them on. Putting them on, listening to the squeak and sound of the patent leather, zipping them up the side of my calf and finally standing-well, felt like that opening scene in Pretty Woman. Sexy and slightly naughty and definitely dirty. These shiny, chunky shoes changed my posture and my attitude-I was ready to kick some ass in these shoes. I just want to wear them around my room. Bonus? They were on clearance for TWENTY BUCKS. So...

LESSON #1: SHOES ARE AWESOME.

But the main reason I wanted to write this entry today was to talk about LilMermaid. I spent the night at her place helping her watch over her menagerie of animals whose newest member, BatBoy is a 4 month old 1/2 papillion 1/2 mini Alaskan husky mix. This may possibly be the cutest dog alive. Because he's so little and hasn't had all his shots yet, BatBoy has to stay in his puppy bag quite a lot. LilMermaid feels bad about it, but there's nothing she can do. She has to be able to bring him places and to compensate, bought him a pretty rockin' puppy bag. (see photo at right)

I mean, it's got rock and roll embossed leather, purple leopard print fur interior, and embroidered peace sign. Still, when you're a dog, you sort of don't care how cool your bag is, a bag is a bag. So feeling bad when were were cruising stores-LM felt the need to let her little guy out. At the last store, the manager was a gothic poster child. Long black hair, white make up, black eye liner flourishes, long fingernails, black trench and quasi victoriana gear (did I mention that we were in Hot Topic? Yeah, this actually happened). But, he did not AT ALL have the disposition to match. Far from being surly or complacent, he was sweet as pie and asked to hold BatBoy. And also let LM walk around the store with him out of the bag.

To her credit, LM was nothing short of an adoring owner totally, and without any reservation, handing BatBoy over to GothDude. And I love her for it. I've told her a bunch of times, she has an old soul. She can read people right away and know if they are good cookies or not.

Everyone you meet in your life - even total strangers - are already intimately connected to you. The idea that we are all separate and distinct beings is nothing but an illusion. We are all parts of a larger whole, like individual cells in a body. (…) When you look at other people, you’re really looking at yourself.
– Steve Pavlina

I respect the fearlessness and lack of prejudice LM had in handing over her sweet angel of a puppy over to a man who looked like he might eat him. I wouldn't have had the same gumption, I hope that I will one of these days. As we were leaving (so yes, the shoes are from Hot Topic-deal with it), the GothDude asked if he could hold BatBoy one last time. And as he did so, gave BatBoy a blessing; to give LM at least 30 years and health and happiness. That is probably one of the sweetest spontaneous things I've ever seen someone do.

And it just goes to show-we're not all that different. We are all the same being, just in different packaging. 99.99% of humans are the same and it's that .01% that keeps us apart. Celebrate our singularity today, and take a chance on someone you may have preconceived notions about.

LESSON #2: LilMermaid IS AWESOME.

No comments:

Moi aussi!

20 something. Singer/designer/blogger. My last blog is now permanently lost in the ether, but I've been writing online since 1995. And so it begins...

Recent News

HappyMan