Today's entry (and quotes) inspired by JennyJennJen's tumblr blog which I CANNOT stop reading. It's making that sleepy part of my brain all awake."There’s always a moment when you start to fall out of love, whether it’s with a person or an idea or a cause, even if it’s one you only narrate to yourself years after the event: a tiny thing, a wrong word, a false note, which means that things can never be quite the same again." —Douglas Adams via the ch!cktionary
I'd like to say it isn't so-but it sort of is. There will never be a time where the inner gears of life won't and don't change-by definition that's what time is. The dictionary should just equate change and time. And since none of us, currently, can stop or manipulate time (that we know of)-change for the better or worse or just different is bound to happen. Conversely, though-it offers up space for things just as wonderful and more magical to happen. Take Rawbean for example. I've known her since we were 12. Friends in high school, roomates in college-we've evolved in ways that are more and more interesting to me every year. And even though we have diversely opposite schedules and only occasionally intersecting interests; she continues to improve my opinion of her all the time.
Take for example, our girly outing to see, 'Sex and the City' A packed house, nary a seat between well dressed, finely shod fashionistas-Fendi baguette a LV Speedy. And during a completely critical moment-a vital scene between Carrie and Big, some fluffhead's cell phone goes off. So loudly that I start to wonder if it's part of the movie itself. It finally stops and all 300 of us breathe a collective sigh of relief. Then it goes off AGAIN. Any woman worth her weight in Manolos KNOWS that you do not mess with 300 odd women and gay men trying to enjoy what they may consider to be the cultural event of the decade-the return of LaBradshaw to the silver screen. I grumble to Joolie who is sitting next to me, but continue to wait until the embarrassed or airheaded provocateur turns the phone off. Not Rawbean who sits up and projects in her best, I-work-with-small-children-and-I-can-talk-louder-than-all-of-them voice:
"You need to turn your phone off."
Just like that. Simple. Authoritative. Declarative.I literally leaned over to Joolie and said, "I love Rawbean. Awesome."
“ There are two ways to look at life. The first view is that nothing stays the same and that nothing is inherently connected, and that the only driving force in anyone’s life is entropy. The second is that everything pretty much stays the same (more or less) and that everything is completely connected, even if we don’t realize it."
— Chuck Klosterman, Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs.
Maybe the people in your life will disappoint you. Maybe you'll fall out of love or get past that honeymoon period or just start to lose interest. But maybe, just maybe - your friends and lovers and relatives will surprise you. And they'll do something that'll make you a) remember why you care about them and b) will make you care about them more.
I am in love with my friends and I don't give two shits who knows.
No comments:
Post a Comment